Supporting private self-financed international students in science and engineering
JGC-S Scholarship Foundation was founded in 1968 based on personal heritage of Mr. Masao Saneyoshi who was a founder and the first president of JGC Corporation (*1). Most of the donated assets were stocks of JGC Corporation. Therefore, JGC-S Scholarship Foundation is run by these dividends of stocks.
Mr. Saneyoshi strongly hoped to contribute to the development of science and technology and foster of engineers or researchers in Japan by providing his own asset while presiding over the engineering business for a long period of 40 years. Taking over his will, JGC-S Scholarship Foundation is providing scholarships for students majoring in science and technology and grants for young researcher.
Fifty years already have passed since the establishment, but JGC-S Scholarship Foundation has lent or provided scholarships to 18,000 Japanese students and 5,800 international students from abroad. Also, we have provided research grants for 1,700 young researchers.
JGC Corporation was established in 1928. JGC has contributed to the development of the global economy and society as a world-class engineering company by accomplishing more than 20,000 plant construction projects in 70 countries.Specifically, JGC is engaged in design, procurement, construction and project management of factories and various equipment such as petroleum refining, petrochemical, liquefied natural gas (LNG), pharmaceuticals, etc.
|1968||Saneyoshi Scholarship Foundation was established.
Scholarship for Japanese student (loan program) begins.
Research grant program begins.
|1978||Scholarship for international student (grant program) begins.|
|2007||Overseas travel expense aid program was ended.
Research grant program was expanded.
The name was changed to JGC-S Scholarship Foundation.
|2009||Scholarship for Japanese graduate student (grant program) begins.|
|2011||JGCS begins as a Prime Minister-authorized, Public interest incorporated foundation.
Scholarship for Japanese undergraduate student (grant program) begins
Loan program suspends acceptance of new applicant
|2017||Scholarship for international student (grant program) was re-organized.
Scholarship for Japanese students to study abroad (grant program) begins
SCHOLARSHIP GRANT FOR INTERNATIONNAL STUDENTS
Please note that you cannot directly apply to JGC-S Scholarship Foundation. Please consult the department in charge of the university.
This program aims to support international students to achieve the goal of study in Japan and to develop human resources who can contribute to society in the future
Eligibility of Application
- The applicant shall be self-financed international student majoring in science and technology at 63 designated university.
- University students of science and engineering (*) or graduate students
- Auditors are not eligible.
- Past scholarship recipients may not apply.
- Those who are superior in terms of people and academic ability, are healthy, and need economic scholarships
- Scholarship recipients from other institutions can apply. Students who are exempt from tuition can apply.
300,000 yen / year
We recruit every year from April to November. Please contact the department in charge of the designated university for the specific date and time.
Please apply using the designated application form via the department in charge of the university. Due to the selection process at the university, the applicant cannot apply directly to the association. Details will be notified to the department in charge of the designated university, so please check.
DESIGNATED UNIVERSITY(ALPHADETICAL ORDER)
Akita University, Chiba Institute of Technology, Chiba University, Chuo University, Doshisha University, Ehime University, Gakushuin University, Gifu University, Gunma University, Hiroshima University, Hokkaido University, Ibaraki University, Iwate University, Japan Women's University, Kagoshima University , Kanazawa University, Kanto University, Keio University , Kitami Institute of Technology, Kobe University, Kogakuin University, Kumamoto University, Kyoto University, Kyushu Institute of Technology, Kyushu University, Meiji University, Muroran Institute of Technology, Nagasaki University , Nagoya Institute of Technology, Nagoya University , Nihon University , Niigata University , Ochanomizu University, Oita University, Okayama University, Osaka City University, Osaka Pref. University, Osaka University, Risumeikan University, Saga University, Saitama University, Seikei University, Shibaura Institute of Technology, Shinshu University, Shizuoka University, Sophia University, The University of Electro-Communications, Tokushima University , The University of Tokyo, Tokai University, Tokyo city University, Tokyo Denki University, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Tech., Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Science, Tohoku University, Tottori University, Toyohashi University of Technology., University of Fukui, University of Hyogo, University of Miyazaki, University of The Ryukyus, University of Toyama, University of Tsukuba, University of Yamanashi, Utsunomiya University, Yamagata University, Yamaguchi University, Yokohama National University, Waseda University,
- Q. I would like to apply, how do I apply?
- A. You cannot directly apply to JGC-S Scholarship Foundation.
Please consult the department in charge of the university. In late March, we will send the Instruction and application form to the scholarship staff at the university designated by the Foundation.
- Q. Can I apply directly to the Foundation?
- A. No, you cannot. Please follow instructions of the scholarship staff at the university designated by the Foundation.
- Q. Are there any restrictions on the country of origin or nationality, age?
- A. No.
- Q. Is it possible to apply for government-sponsored and government-sponsored international students?
- A. No. For only privately funded international students.
- Q. My family is in Japan. Can I apply?
- A. Not possible. You must study abroad alone. However, if your husband or wife is an international student, you can apply.
- Q. Can I apply for other visas instead of study abroad visas?
- A. Not possible. You must have a student visa.
- Q. When is the scholarship application period?
- A. From April 1st to November 20th. The deadline for application varies depending on the university, so please check with the international student scholarship staff at each university for detailed schedule.
- Q. Is my school in a designated school?
- A. For designated schools, see the "Designated Universities" on this site.
- Q. I am a medical/dentistry/pharmaceutical student. Can I apply?
- A. Not eligible. It is a student who has a science or engineering department or major in application qualification.
- Q. I have already received (will be) a scholarship other than the JGCS Scholarship. Can I apply?
- A. You can apply. If you wish to receive a co-payment, please check with the group to which the co-payment is possible. However, Fostering Next Generation of Researcher of The Japan society for the promotion of science (JSPS) are not eligible.
- Q. Can I apply even if I have a tuition exemption?
- A. Yes you can.
- Q. Can research students or auditors also apply?
- A. Yes you can.
- Q. I enrolled in October, but is there eligibility to apply?
- A. Yes. However, you must be in the school for one year until September of the following year. Therefore, as of October, 4th year undergraduate students, 2nd year master's students, and 3rd year doctoral students cannot apply. You cannot apply even if you have decided to advance to the master's program in the 4th year, or to the doctoral course in the 2nd year.
- Q. I have previously been granted scholarship by JGCS. Can I reapply?
- A. Not possible. Only once per person.
- Q. Can I create application documents such as application forms on a PC?
- A. Create it on your computer using the Word sheet prescribed by the Society (sent to each university).
- Q. Japanese is inconvenient. Can I fill out the application form in English?
- A. Please write in Japanese. If you cannot, ask someone to write it for you.
- Q. Are there any other documents to be submitted in addition to " Scholarship Application Form" when applying?
- A. You will need a photo and a copy of your cash card to attach to the application form. Also, please check with the university staff for the documents required for on-campus screening.
- Q. Does the photo attached to the application form have to be a photo for identification?
- A. You can use a speed photograph as long as it fits in the frame, but please attach something that clearly shows the upper body.
- Q. Do you have an interview?
- A. There is no interview at the time of selection, but after hiring, JGCS staff visit each university and hold an interview (October to December). Specific dates and times will be announced via the university. Students in the Tokyo metropolitan area* should attend the social gathering held in Tokyo in December. Details will be sent via the university in mid-November.
*Please contact the scholarship staff at the university.
- Q. When will the selection process take place?
- A. After being screened at your university, an application will be made to the Foundation to make the decision. The selection and application period is from April to November, but the specific schedule varies depending on each university, so please check with the person in charge.
- Q. How are scholarships provided?
- A. April enrollment is for 1 year from April 1st, October enrollment is for 1 year from October 1st. We will transfer one year's scholarship at a time to the bank account designated by the scholarship student. If the transfer destination is Japan Post Bank, make sure that the "Open transfer account (money transfer function)" column in the passbook is marked with a circle.
- Q. Are there any restrictions on the use of scholarships?
- A. There are no restrictions on how you can use your scholarship. School expenses, living expenses, etc. Please use it to maintain your life, improve your studies, and improve your skills.
- Q. When do I have to return my scholarship?
- A. There is no obligation to return the scholarship. However, if you withdraw from school, repeat a year, leave of absence, or neglect to attend the school during the benefit period, you may be required to return.
Based on the purpose of the the Personal Information Protection Law, the JGC-S Scholarship Foundation will endeavor to protect personal information as follows.
For inquiries regarding the personal information held by the Society, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
（Scholarship business）Personal information obtained by the Society by applying for a scholarship will be used only for the work necessary for the scholarship business such as selection, benefits, and collection.